Wednesday, January 11, 2012

A Sport Similar to Cage fighting

The past few day's have been nothing short of bad weather day's. So what do we do on bad weather day's? Well we fly of-course! We have made numerous flights up and down the Peninsula as well as the Chig's in blizzard conditions. Some flights turned back never making it to their destination...they were the smart one's, and others continued with reckless dissregard...That would be Captain Hero and myself. Now if you haven't gathered by previous stories that the Chig's can be a rough and dangerous place on a good day going into there during a blizzard is just adding fuel to the fire.
If you were to consider Bush flying through these mountain ranges along the Alaskan Peninsula and Aleutian Island's a sport it would be similar to cage fighting. Some day's you can jump into that ring and come out victorious without a scratch and others you come out feeling like you went 12 rounds as Chuck Liddell's personal punching bag. Most people do not understand the effects flying let alone flying in turbulence has on the body and how exhausting it can be. As only a small percent of the flying public every encounter turbulence for an extended period of time and an even smaller percent ever experience mountain wave or sever turbulence.We encounter it almost daily. I do understand that our passengers have to encounter it with us but here is where it differs for the pilot's... the passengers only have to encounter it once (getting to their destination) us pilot's have to go through it on the way back too! We are like a walking Doublemint  add! "double the pleasure double the fun"  
Now you might ask well why did you fly in it then. Well let's take yesterday for example. My self and Captain Hero were dispatched out on good weather but while en-route the weather at the destination got bad and dispatched called us in the air to tell us to turn around and come home. When your flying with Captain Hero you don't turn around (this is why we call him Hero) he will flat out ignore dispatch and go anyway. Now most level headed Captain's would turn back at that point or at least ask the co-pilot if he is comfortable continuing. Captain Hero is the complete opposite He goes and the co-pilot is along for the ride weather he or she like's it or not and no matter what the co-pilot has to say about it. (this is why we don't like flying with him).
Now don't get me wrong I'm not afraid of flying in bad weather I mean I did take a job as a pilot in one of the most dangerous place's in the world to fly solely to become the best of the best but I have limits. I don't feel that I should risk my life or the lives of the passengers by flying through mountain passes in 0 visabilaty with heavy blowing snow and white-out conditions to get grandma to a village to see the grand kid's or airlift in the villages week supply of soda. That being said there are thing's that I would risk it for no questions asked like a person especially a small child in need of emergency medical care or rescuing people from a downed aircraft basically nothing short of saving a life. The rest can wait until tomorrow.
My Room mate Dan got rotated back home last night and I'm not pleased. In Dan's place they brought in an out of base pilot to replace him. This guy is about the most anti-social person I have ever meet. I don't want to even try to hang out with this guy. I know I'm an ass but this guy is really annoying! So beside captain Low-T and the Phoenix I have no one to hang out with. If you have never spent time in Bush Alaska it get's very boring very quick!
This morning with the sub-in pilot following me like a lost puppy I head down to Op's and decide to break the new guy in by getting him assigned to captain Hero. Today was supposed to be a busy day as we had a lot of freight to move to the Chig's so captain Hero and the new guy would take a plane full of passengers and mail while captain Low-T and I flew a load of Hazmat down there. we get the plane's loaded, look at the weather and once again it's bad. the high winds down there today were blowing the snow around causing ground blizzards. Captain Low-T and I decide to stay and wait for the weather to improve while captian Hero and the new guy get in the plane and take off.
As the hours tic by and the weather not improving we start getting creative in keeping ourselves occupied with out knowing we are even doing it. It started when Low-T started singing "Got Moves Like Jagger" out load in the middle of the Op's room! Now let me set the picture for you. Captain Low-T is a middle age white guy and he is wearing this purple monstrosity of a coat that I have been teasing him about for day's. hahaha it crack's me up just thinking about it! On top of that he wears glasses (the big aviator one's) now I'm not making fun of him for wearing glasses because he can't help that, but combined with the purple jacket he looks like some sort of rendition of Elton John singing in the highest pitch he can muster. A few songs and many games of Angry Bird's later we some how wined up with a foot ball in the maintenance hanger. And the shenanigans begin! By this point Low-T and I have been playing all day like little kid's stopping every now and then to look at the weather, talk about how bad we feel for not going, chuckle and go back to playing. Keep in mind Low-T and myself have flow in the worst weather you could think of the last couple of week's so we are the last Bush pilot's motivated to do anything today. Our Chief arrived from Anchorage mid morning and the General was also here today and I guess they had already figured this out or just thought our playing had gone on long enough that there was no getting us back today so they just let us continue. We pilot's are like big kid's leave us alone long enough and anything is bound to happen.The Chief or the General could have tried to put a stop to this nonsense at any time but it would have been like pulling a kid out of Chucky Cheese...you could do it but we would go kicking and screaming! We went largely ignored by them and some how slowly corrupted the entire work force and had everyone involved in our shenanigans. I don't know how it happened it just did, I don't know if they all just saw how much fun we where having and joined in but I certainly didn't hold a recruiting convention.
By this time captain Hero and the new guy had already come back picked up another load and were off again...Sucker's!
The Chief finally asked us why we were not flying when he walked into to see we had all of Operations completely shut down due to an Angry Birds competition being conducted on about five different devices. Low-T and I looked at each other shrugged our shoulders and walked out to avoid the question. as we walked out Low-T looked at me and said " I ain't leaving till they kick me out" LOL right on Low-T right on!
My day finally end's with me curled up on a couch taking a nap to recuperate from a hard day of playing.    

1 comment: