Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Fun in the sun

Typically my day's off are not usually relevant to this aviation based blog but yesterday broke that mold.
As I was out running earns yesterday I received a call from my father in-law asking if i would want to meet up with a friend of his who has heard about my blog and wanted to go flying with me. Well what the heck it's a beautiful day and well I do love to fly. To top it off this guy is wanting to do aerobatics so I'm totally in!
As I make the 2 hour drive to meet up with him I start wondering to my self who is this guy? what type of plane does he have? it's probubly some guy with a Citabria.
About an hour into my drive I get another call from my father in-law giving me more detail on this guy. Apparently he moonlights as a professional competition aerobatic pilot flying in competitions and air shows across the country. I start to think to myself. Now wait a minute... this professional aerobatic pilot like's my stories...enough so that he want's to fly with me personally. Ok this guy does know I'm not one of those Alaskan TV pilot's right? Seriously I didn't think my stories were that good, hell I was even thinking I was being too detailed, a bit negative and was debating a change in writing style. Plus this guy has to have a million stories better than mine.
As I arrive my father in-law is waiting on me. We talk and hang out while we wait for the guy to arrive. When he arrives we head to the hanger. As the door opens my mind can't believe what my eyes are seeing! sitting in the corner is a bright red Pitts C model!! Ok surely this guy isn't going to let me fly his half million dollar toy...no this will just be a ride along which is fine because I am a cheap date!
Looking over the plane me and the guy "J" start to talk. He tells me how much he enjoys my stories and is looking forward to flying with me. after a bit of chit chat he begins briefing me on the flight and what we will be doing. During this conversation he tells me that I will be flying and not to worry because I can't do anything to break the airplane. I'm thinking to myself "LOL wana bet"!!!
All suited up we hop in and taxi out and away we went.
For the next 45 minutes we proceeded to burn a hole in the sky. He showed me how to set the plane up to do a handful of maneuvers I spent the rest of the time putting on an air show for friends and family who were waiting on the ground.
I want to give a big thanks to J for sharing his toys with me and to RG for introducing us.
Hahahaha to all my readers out there I am now taking request's. If you would like to personally fly with me I will be more that happy to do so and promise to write about you and the flight in my blog.


1 comment: