Tuesday, January 3, 2012

My first day back

Well yesterday was my first day back flying the line and was quite the busy day. My room mate Dan and I got started well before the sun came up with temps hovering around -21. We started by pre-flighting our plane's and then sweeping the snow off the one they left out side to reduce the amount of deice fluid we would need to use. after that we got to go to OP's to get our duty assignments for the day. This gave us a brief chance to warm up before heading back out to load our plane's. In Op's we learn Captain Hero will be flying one of the run's so Dan and I basically flipped a coin to determine who had to fly with him that day. (we do this because neither one of us like flying with him) I lost! I was assigned to fly the Chig's run. (The Chig's is what we call a geographic region in Alaska made up of 3 small villages Chignik Lake, Chignik Bay, Chignik Lagoon and we include Perryville due to it being very close. The Chig's are the most beautiful and most dangerous place I have ever been to in mylife.) After I got my assignment I headed out to load my plane and then we were off. Down in the Chig's was uneventful as the weather was some what good but very cold. On the way back however was a different story. The Leg home was mine to fly and the weather had gone down at home forcing us to file and fly IFR (in the clouds on interments) wich is usually not a big deal unless you happen to be flying with Captain Hero who is useless in a multi crew environment (means two pilots sharing the work load) . As I am sitting there flying and getting annoyed that I'm getting no help from the guy sitting next to me I thought to myself well at least he hasn't started his typical rampage BS today and then I made my call to ATC witch was a simple change of frequency and let them know you did (wich I had to do myself cause someone was too busy daydreaming to even do that) and then the rampage begins!!! " I don't Like the way you talked to ATC" here we go he's trying to pick a fight again. "really you didn't like Anchorage center 208 with you level 9,000" Hero "No", me " well maybe you should work the radio's then".I think I won that battle because he worked the radio's fro the rest of the flight  wich was good because now we started our decent and were picking up ice. the rest of the flight went smooth until we were cleared for the approach. As I descend to intercept the initial approach fix Hero looks at me and said "brief your own approach" great now I have to fly and pull out the book and read all at the same time...he's worthless I swear!
Knowing it was the only way it was going to get done I fumble through the chart bag to find the right one then open it to the right page and start reading all while I have the plane screaming toward the ground to make my next altitude assignment on time. when I reach the second way point to turn inbound on the approach and line up with the runway ATC calls and tells us to hold. Just what I wanted a hold in this! We are picking up ice, it's so cold my feet are numb, I think the guy next to me is starting to drool on him self and to top it off by the smell of things I think the high decent rate caused the dog in the back to soil himself. What a day this has turned out to be! Finally ATC clears me in and what started as the biggest cluster of an approach I managed to pull off nicely and get us all on the ground safely.
When I get back to Op's I'm informed that I'm getting extended to fly another run that Dan was assigned because our one Grumman Goose ( a WWII era twin engine sea plane) made a crash landing on a frozen lake up north and Dan had to fly up there to rescue the pilot.
So off to the north I went wondering the whole time what had happened to cause the Goose to go down. the company radio channel was buzzing with chatter about it. We got reports that the pilot was the only one onboard and he was ok. Thank god!.(for those of you that don't know about the Goose, yes it is designed to land on water but not frozen water. landing on ice would be like landing on concrete runway without landing gear but a runway would be smooth and free of snowdrifts, and holes.)  He had been picked up by some people on snow machines and was being taken to the nearest village so he could be picked up.
When I get back from Dillingham the Goose pilot is sitting in Op's. Dan had gone to pick him up and brought him back home. Turns out the pilot ran the Goose out of gas, crash landed on the frozen lake and then fell through the ice when it finally came to a stop.I can't believe he ran out of gas!!! now the plane is in danger of being crushed by the refreezing ice around it on top of what ever damage was caused by the landing.

No comments:

Post a Comment