Sunday, January 8, 2012

Being put in check

Every day across the world people file into airplanes and take to the skies. To most it is a way of life, to some it is a right. Though thousands of flights a day are completed with out incident and can be considered mundane and uneventful.That is not the case as a bush pilot in Alaska.
Most day's can be considered as mundane by the inner circle of bush pilot's but then there  are those day's that are gut wrenching, one's that really make you look at life in a whole different way. Today was one of those day's for me.
My day began with temp's hitting -56 with the wind chill. There was  low pressure system  moving up from the south causing blizzards and complete havoc along the North Pacific.
Down in Op's I was assigned the Chig's run with Captain Low-T.
The Chig's weather was down right bad all morning and Low-T and I had debated on canceling the whole thing all morning. Now I am happy to once again be flying with Captain Low-T as I have much respect for him and trust him to make the right decision's.
After a four hour wait a bunch of bad weather report's and incoherent nonsense from our dispatcher we decide to go. (That was bad idea number 1!)
we load up and head for our first stop at Port. Now the Port is the last airport on the peninsula before getting into the mountains at the Chig's. Once we arrive we decide to call and get a weather report for the Chig's.... what we get is complete BS and we believed it.
So we decide to continue onto the Chig's based on this BS. (Bad idea number 2!)
We depart the Port and decide that the best way to get into the Chig's is going to be climbing up and flying over the range and descending down into the bay on the other side.
Now our next stop was supposed to be Lake witch is south of the Bay so we would get updated weather reports from the Bay and Lagoon as we cross over the range.
As I call and get these weather report's it becomes very obvious to me that the people giving the reports have no idea what they are doing because I was getting reports of ceiling's being 3 mile's at the Lagoon (3 mile's is 15,000 feet) . We are at 7,000 feet and we are in the clouds so I know that's wrong. the next report we get from the Lagoon it that there is some "pretty weird swirling snow at the end of the runway". Let me give you a brief rundown of a weather report. visibility is how far you can see horizontally and is measured and reported in miles, ceiling is how high the bottom of the clouds are and are measured and reported in feet. so a ceiling of 3 mile's is completely wrong and any time you have anyone say weird swirling (unless this is followed by hundred dollar bill's) is never good!
The next report we get is from the Bay. By this time we have crossed the range and are over the Bay. The Bay is telling us that the ceiling is 600 feet and 1 mile vis. WRONG we are still at 7,000 feet and I can see the Bay. Who the F trains these people? 
Low-T and I decided that we should land at the Bay first and call and get a new weather report from the Lagoon and the Lake.(Bad idea number 3!)
We make it into the Bay with a little moderate turbulence and 45 knot cross winds.
While on the ground at the Bay we are told that the Lake weather has gotten better and that we should head that way. We load up and taxi to depart. We roll down the runway build our speed and lift off about 3/4 of the way down the runway. Just as we start to climb we hit a micro burst. ( A Micro burst is a sudden shift or change in wind) This micro burst happened to be an extrema down draft. We are now being forced toward the ground and with the engine red lined we are not able to climb. As we start running out of runway and altitude we are slammed back into the runway. As Low-T struggles to get the plane flying again before we hit the water I start getting ready to go swimming. (the Runway that the Bay is surrounded by open Ocean on three side's) This unfolding I start thinking about how cold that water is going to be as I know it is hoovering around 0..... there are ice packs floating around in it for god sake. Some how Low-T pulls it off and get's us airborne again. Thank God because I forgot to bring my floaties!
We make it out of the Bay and start our way down to the Lake. As we turn out of the Bay into the Lagoon we start getting rocked by more turbulence. As we pass by the village we see about a half mile ahead and the vis is 0/0 meaning the clouds are all the way to the ground. we cant see the water, the mountains,or islands so we decide not to continue. Low-T banks us to the right to get us turned 180 away from the cliffs. Our turn take's us across the Lagoon to the base for the bearing sea side range wich is on the west side of the Lagoon. At this point we are (let's just say) 500 feet off the water when all of the sudden we hit a roll wave! ( A roll wave is a mass of air coming off the top of a mountain rolling downward. think of it like a tornado turned on it's side.) As we hit this roll wave we are rolled over to about 110 degree's. Keep in mind 90 degree's is completely on our side and 180 degree's we are up side down! we are 110 and still rolling over. Low-T has the controls maxed out trying to right the plane. I grab on to help out ( Natural reaction in a situation like that). with the controls maxed out we are still rolling and quickly. Here's a little info on how airplanes work. There are planes out there that can fly upside down. The 208 is not one of those! Now if we were at 15,000 feet this wouldn't be a big deal because we could barrel roll it and get it right side up before we hit the ground or if we were in an aerobatic plane like the one's that you see at your local airshow that are designed to fly upside down. But we didn't have the altitude to recover nor was the 208 designed to fly upside down. If we continue and hit 180 (completely upside down) We would fall out of the sky like a duck on it's back and hit the water in about two seconds with a force equal to two diesel locomotives hitting head on!!  Adrenalin pumping and both of us on the controls fighting the plane we finally right the beast before it's too late. Now finally righted we are now both completely pissed off mostly due to our type a personalities. ( the vast majority of pilots have type A personalities and part of that is a dislike of not being in control) 
Low-T and I decide that we are bugging out and begin to climb out back over the range.
When we get over the range and into cruse Low-T give control of the aircraft to me I guess to give him a chance to finally calm down from the previous event's.
I am not pleased as I too am worked up and feeling very tired from having the shit kicked out of me for the last hour.
I take my headset off and turn to the back to check on the passengers, we have 7 onboard and we have not checked on them since the roll wave or told them we are headed back to base.
As I look back all of them are white as ghost's and still clenching their seats. I yell over the roaring of the turbine that has just be thoroughly abused but still running like a chap to inform them we are going back to base. I swear it looked like I was carrying a load of life size bobble head doll's as their head's bobbed back and forth in approval of this decision.
For the next fifteen minutes there was a lot of discussion between Low-T and my self about what had happened, are dislike of dispatch and me telling him to just draw a frowny face on our manifest instead of filling it out. The rest of the trip was quiet as we both needed time to our selves.
Upon my return to base I walk straight though Op's without stopping to chat as I am in no mood to talk to dispatch so I head up to my apartment grab a beer and begin to tell Dan what had happened.
Low-T joined us about 5 minutes later and the three of us proceed to empty our fridge of beer.
With all the beer gone we decide to move to the bar where there is plenty of beer.
When we arrive at the bar some of the passengers are there drinking as well and the events of the day are already front page new's.
Sorry to all the readers out there for not adding dramatic music but Flying wild Alaska used it all up!   

3 comments:

  1. This does not sound safe to me. I hope your airline has big life insurance policys on there pilots. Have a beer for me posted by Dan's father 704pm pacific standard time

    ReplyDelete
  2. Omg Joel! Thank god you are ok! No wonder Danny woke with a headache today. I hope you did too! :) That is one flight I don't think you will ever forget.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You and Danny be safe. My heart was pounding when I read your blog. I have been to Alaska and know all to well how our bush pilots risk their lives daily and save others.

    ReplyDelete